Essential Oil – Cypress
All About Aromatherapy Oil Cypress
Cypress Essential Oil (Botanical name: Cupressus sempervirens)
Cypress oil is produced in Europe. Cypress essential oil is obtained by steam distillation of cones, needles and twigs of the cypress tree. It has a woody, spicy and medicinal aroma.
Properties of Cypress Oil and its Effects
- The oil has antiseptic, diuretic, astringent, anti-spasmodic, deodorant properties. It is a nerve tonic and stimulates hormones.
- Cypress Oil has a thin consistency and is pale yellow in color. There is also another variety of cypress oil called Blue cypress essential oil which is pale blue or clear colored with a fresh lemony cedar smell to it.
- It is a warm, relaxing oil which balances body systems; soothes and relaxes without inducing drowsiness. At times it helps an indecisive person.
- Cypress oil is refreshing, rejuvenating oil which uplifts, calms an irritable and impatient person.
Uses of Cypress Oil
- It is useful for problems related to poor circulation such as cramps, varicose veins, thread veins, ulcers, edema (fluid retention problem). Cypress oil, due to its astringent properties causes local constriction of capillaries. Hence, it is good for treating varicose veins and hemorrhoids (piles).
Astringent properties of Cypress oil are similar to Witch Hazel.
- Helps in healing sore perineal areas in postnatal care.
- It is a good skin tonic for oily skin and combination skin.
- Controls menorrhagia or heavy periods as it controls excess body fluids. It eliminates menopausal and menstrual problems.
- Acts as a deodorant, relaxer and body refresher when used as a bath oil and also helps to reduce sweating.
- Eliminates foot odor (smelly feet) when used in a foot bath.
- Reduces nervous tension due to its gentle sedative properties.
- Relieves cough based on its anti spasmodic function
- Useful for individuals suffering from rheumatism and arthritis.
Recipe for PMS treatment using Cypress Oil
To treat hot flushes associated with PMS, try this foot massage essential oils recipe.
Cypress Oil Foot Massage Recipe: Mix equal amounts of cypress oil and clary sage oil and dilute with almond oil. Massage feet with this mixture every night before bedtime.
Ways to Use Cypress Oil
Body Massage Oil or Lotion(do skin test for sensitivity testing before use)
Cypress Oil Caution:
Cypress oil should be avoided during early pregnancy (especially during first 5 months). This oil should not be used during pre-conceptual care, post natal care, during labor and on babies. Avoid this oil on individuals suffering from cancer, PCOS, ovarian or uterine growths.
Disclaimer: Always consult a qualified aromatherapist before you think of taking any oil internally. Always dilute essential oil and other concentrated aromatherapy oils on the skin. Do not apply them at full strength without verifying with an expert aromatherapy practitioner. Never use any oil without conducting a skin patch test for oil sensitivity or possible allergic reactions. Always seek guidance and verify safety before using any essential oil from a trained expert, regardless of what any website or book recommends.