Home Remedies for Alzheimers
Alzheimer’s disease (AD), a form of dementia is more common among older individuals. Developing Alzheimer disease can be a serious nightmare for any person as this brain disorder affects the ability to carry out simple daily routine activities.
Causes of Alzheimer’s
Exact cause for alzheimers is unknown but scientists believe that it does have a genetic component. Multiple factors can play a role such as family history, severe head injuries, tobacco smoking, constant exposure to high levels of lead, zinc, aluminium
Symptoms of Alzheimer’s
Alzheimers disease, not only has a negative impact on mental functions but it also affects many physical functions. It can slowly destroy logical thinking, memory and language. Alzheimer symptoms are manifested when simple tasks are forgotten like combing hair, eating or recognizing people and events. Although the brain damage that is caused in Alzheimers can not be reverted back and there is no cure for this disease, the home remedies below can help delay progression of the disease.
Alzheimers Home Remedies
- Aluminum is been studied as one of the contributing factor for AD, which is also found in many commercial toothpastes. So use a mixture of baking soda and powdered salt to brush your teeth. Mix 2 parts baking soda with 1 part crushed salt. Dip a moistened toothbrush in this mixture and brush teeth. Store this mixture in an air tight container.
- Essential fatty acids required for brain function found in sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds can be an excellent snack option.
- Add milk powder and wheat germ to your cereal flours before making breads to add extra protein in the diet.
- Often the person becomes incontinent – maintaining a personal hygiene in that case becomes essential. Mix equal parts of vinegar and water and use this solution to clean the genital areas. You may use the same solution as a deodorant to dab your underarms. Although this homemade deodorant will not stop sweating, it will take care of the odor.
- Vitamin A – Emphasize on foods rich in vitamin A in the diet like carrots, liver, eggs, bell pepper, squash and whole milk. Vitamin A is essential for nerve health and memory.
- Omega 3 fatty acids found in fish, flaxseeds are often called brain foods as they help promote healthy brain function.
- Vitamin C – Citrus fruits like orange, berries, grapes, lemons and vegetables like bell peppers, cabbage, leafy vegetables and potato are rich sources of vitamin C – a water soluble antioxidant which is believed to have a protective effect on the brain nerves.
- A decreased taste sensation is often experienced by many people with Alzheimers. To increase appetite and tempt the taste buds use herbs and spices like oregano, ginger, garlic, sage, pepper, and turmeric. However avoid using too much salt in food preparation. Salt, alcohol and refined carbs are found to be deterimental.
- Ginkgo biloba leaf extract also has been shown to alleviate the symptoms of Alzheimer disease. Before using ginkgo for AD consult a health care professional for correct guidance and supervision.
- Alzheimer research shows that activities like solving puzzles and crosswords everyday is a great mental exercise and benefits Alzheimer patients.
- Alzheimer’s caregivers need to educate themselves about this illness, extend support and cooperation. Alzheimer patients need to be dealt with tremendous patience and love.
- Although, there is no cure for Alzheimers disease, a neurosurgeon can help you with diagnosis of alzheimer’s and prescribe medication to slow down brain deterioration. Meanwhile, our home remedies should surely benefit those with Alzheimers.