Home Remedies for Constipation
Symptoms of Constipation
Absence of bowel movement for a single day does not imply constipation. Experiencing any of the following symptoms indicates the presence of constipation, namely, feeling of incomplete evacuation right after visiting the toilet, less than three stools per week, use of certain techniques, such as manipulation of the lower abdomen or finger evacuation, excessive strain, a feeling of rectal blockage and hard stools. Certain other severe constipation symptoms which call for immediate medical attention are – blood in the stool (malena), thin stools, immense abdominal pain, rectal pain, weight loss and alternate bouts of diarrhea and constipation.
Causes of Constipation
Improper muscular contraction of the colon results in dry stools. Other factors which seem to result in constipation are irritable bowel syndrome, dehydration or poor fluid intake, laxative abuse, spinal injuries, hormonal disturbance, pregnancy, intake of certain medications, illness, poor dietary fiber, intestinal obstruction, lack of physical activity and electrolyte imbalance, due to diarrhea or vomiting.
Treatment for Constipation
Over the counter laxatives are effective against constipation. Bulk laxatives, saline laxatives, osmotics, stimulants, stool softeners and lubricants are the various laxatives available for help. 5-HT-4agonists are certain agents, which reduces the transit time and increases the secretion of intestinal fluids.
Home Remedies for Constipation
Constipation is easy to deal with, in the initial stages. Certain simple techniques prove beneficial at the home level.
- Constipation Treatment with Apples: Apples are highly effective against constipation. This is attributed to the insoluble dietary fiber and the soluble fiber pectin present in apples. Eat an apple with the skin intact so the insoluble fiber helps in easy bowel clearance.
- Constipation Treatment with Papaya: A medium sized papaya is an excellent purgative and thus provides relief from constipation. Papain enzyme in papaya and soluble fiber enables smooth bowel movement.
- Constipation Treatment with Epsom salt: Mix one fourth of a teaspoon of Epsom salt in half a glass of water. This is useful against constipation.
- Constipation Treatment with Pear: Treatment with Pear: A medium sized pear after breakfast or supper proves beneficial.
- Constipation Treatment with Oranges: An orange, before retiring to bed and on rising, is helpful against constipation. The juice of the fruit exerts a peristaltic action on the system. Equal proportion of orange juice and olive oil is equally effective against constipation.
- Constipation Treatment with Lemon juice: Squeeze the juice of a lemon in a glass of hot water. Add half a teaspoon of salt and drink the same, on rising, in an empty stomach.
- Constipation Treatment with Molasses: Take two tablespoons of molasses, at bed time, on a daily basis.
Tips for Constipation
Regular exercise or physical activity triggers the activity of the intestine. Increase the intake of fluids in the diet. High fiber diet, such as whole grains, beans, vegetables and fruits prove useful. Do not ignore nature’s call. Avoid daily use of laxatives.