Dry Cough Remedies
What is a dry cough?
A dry cough is a repetitive, non productive cough. Dry cough symptoms do not produce any phlegm and are obviously not accompanied by expectoration as there is no mucous. Chronic cough and acute cough are the two types of coughs. Onset of acute cough is sudden, often appear during cold or flu and usually last no more than 2 to 3 weeks. Chronic coughs last longer than 2 to 3 weeks.
What causes dry cough?
Why do people cough? It is mainly to clear the throat and keep airway free from irritants such as pollens and other particulates. Coughing is the body’s way of removing foreign material from the lungs and throat to heal and protect itself, apart from being annoying.
Onset of dry cough may be associated with illness such as allergies, bronchitis or exposure to irritants such as cigarette smoke, dust or chemicals. Any irritation to the lungs or trachea can be a cause of dry cough.
Home Remedies for Dry Cough
How to get rid of dry cough? Lets explore some herbs, foods, environmental and lifestyle changes as effective dry cough treatments. A humid environment is essential and it helps to use a humidifier in extreme dry climate to keep the atmosphere hydrated. Take care to keep yourself warm. Quit Smoking: If you are a smoker, give up smoking to prevent recurrent attacks of persistent dry cough.
Herbs to relieve dry cough
1. Ginger Juice: Ginger is a great cough remedy for all types of coughs. Mix fresh ginger juice with honey in a teaspoon and suck it. You could also add ginger to hot water and squeeze some lemon or add it to various herbs and spices and sip it throughout the day.
2. Onion Juice is a cough relieving syrup. Extract the juice from onion and in 2 teaspoon onion juice mix in 1 teaspoon of honey. Drink this honeyed onion juice mix.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar is known to heal inflammation, dry heaves and reduces the urge for persistent coughing.
4. Betel leaves with basil leaves, clove and ginger: Take a betel leaf, put in 3-4 basil leaves, a small piece of ginger, a clove and chew on it till the juices flow down the throat. This is very effective remedy to soothe dry cough attacks.
5. Rock candy: Suck on some hard rock candy to relieve unexpected dry cough spasms. Throat lozenges and peppermint candies soothe the throat and give instant cough relief.
A great way to stop dry cough in children is by sucking on hard candies.
6. Green tea with honey and lemon drink is a simple effective dry cough relief remedy.
7. Salt water gargles: Gargling with salt (1/2 teaspoon) added to a glass of warm-hot water at least three times a day is beneficial for spasms of dry cough.
8. Raisin Sauce: Grind 100 grams raisins into a paste in some water. Add sugar and heat it to the consistency of a sauce. Preserve this raisin sauce and eat about 4 teaspoons of this sauce daily at bedtime. You can eat spoonfuls of this sauce anytime during the day as well to ease the dry cough.
Diet for Dry Cough
Boost immune system with positive health behaviors such as eating a balanced diet, timely healthy food intake, eating fruits, vegetables, whole grains. Coughing after eating occurs in people who eat fried oily foods as it causes throat irritation. It is best to avoid fried foods, oily foods, high fat dairy products and especially when you cant stop coughing.
Cough may also be productive cough (in which there is mucus secretion from the lungs).
Home Remedies for Cough covers causes, symptoms, herbs, diet and natural treatments for productive cough.